CO₂ compensation by reforestation and/or Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) conditions 1. General
1.1 These terms and conditions apply to the ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
- The terms and conditions of ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ are in addition to the general conditions of carriage for passengers and baggage.
- ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ is only available in combination with a KLM travel document or tickets in which at least one KLM flight is included.
- The ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ can be added to all KLM flights, regardless of point of origin, point of sale or embarkation point.
1.2 ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ is a voluntary CO₂ emissions service which enables the passenger to contribute to reducing the climate impact of their flight.
- ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ is strictly personal; passengers travelling together can choose on an individual basis.
- Service of CO₂ emissions for your flight(s) consists of a mix of two:
- KLM will compensate for the expected CO₂ impact of your share in the flight;
- CO₂ reduction by investing in SAF
2. Eligible flights
2.1 Operated flights, i.e., flown by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Air France, Delta Air Lines, Kenya Airways.
2.2 All code share flights with KLM flight number and operated by JJ, GF, TE, EI, UX, XM, AZ, MN, CZ, MH, KQ, QX, AS, CO, AM, DL, EV, OH, F8, PS, SU, OK, IG, MA, CY.
3.1 Emission values of KLM, Air France and Delta Air Lines are based upon actual emission values in relation to actual fuel burn.
3.2 Emission values of operating partners are based upon generic values submitted by aircraft manufacturers (i.e., Boeing, Airbus).
4.1 CO₂ emission is calculated for all the flights in your booking. Per flight, the calculation is based on the type of aircraft used, the distance flown and the historical load factor of that specific flight. The calculation method and fuel consumption are tested annually by KPMG in France.
5. Independent certification
5.1 ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ uses Gold Standard certified emission reductions to help finance the development of clean energy projects in developing countries. SAF is certified by the Roundtable of Sustainable Biomaterials or similar.
5.3 Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) is a substitute for fossil jet fuels. Rather than being refined from petroleum, SAF is produced from sustainable resources such as waste oils from a biological origin, agriculture residues, or CO₂ captured from the air, and it is mixed with fossil fuel in aircraft tanks. CO₂ emissions are reduced by 80% when using this fuel, based on lifecycle analysis.
6. Consumer price
6.1 The passenger’s price to compensate through ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ is not equal to the purchasing price of the Gold Standard emission rights. All collected compensation money will be used to compensate through certified emission reductions. All overhead costs and investments related to the compensation scheme will be absorbed by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
6.2 Twice a year, the price for compensation can be adjusted based on the purchasing price of new certified emission reductions.
6.3 We use your contribution to buy extra SAF. We add this to the fuel system at one of the airports where we add SAF. We can’t retrace for which flight your SAF is being used, but the total number of CO₂ emissions of departing flights is lowered with your contribution. With your investment in the ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ we buy SAF and invest in reforestation projects in Panama, Uganda and Colombia.
7.1 If, due to a reason over which you have no control, you cannot make use of your flight, you may be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid.
7.2 In the following cases, you are entitled to a full refund for your ‘CO₂ Impact Programme’ money:
- KLM cancelled your flight.
- You missed your connecting intercontinental KLM flight following a flight operated by KLM, Delta, Air France or Kenya Airways.
If any of these reasons apply to your situation, please continue completing the refund form .
7.3 You can only request a refund through klm.com.
8.1 Verification of accountants of KPMG, one of the world’s leading networks of professional firms providing audit, tax, and advisory services, assures that both emission norms and calculation methodology are compliant with international standard rules and conditions for carbon emissions.